Friday, February 6, 2015

The Introduction Of The Book, " 100 Tough Questions about God And The Bible. " By Stephen M. Miller.


By Sodium

Since I intend to quote, in the next 10 blogs, every question that has been raised in the book titled, " 100 Tough Questions about God And The Bible " by Stephen M. Miller, I wish to let Mr. Miller convey in his own words, to the readers of this website, exactly how he feels and thinks in writing such a provocative book. I wish to do so because I cannot do it for Mr. Miller, regardless how hard I try, because of the obvious reason: I am not him. Below is the INTRODUCTION of the book titled, " 100 Tough Questions about God And The Bible " :

Quote
========

                                                            Introduction

Not being a preacher, I am not inclined to preach to you.
So please do not expect me to tell you what to think.
    I did graduate from seminary, but before that I was a news journalist-- a newspaperman.
    I love hard hitting questions.
    I love digging for answers.
    I want the truth-- even when it 's contrary to what I think. Especially then.
    What I do not want are:
 
   * Cliches' based on nothing in particular.
   * Answers dodged because it's the safe thing to do.
   * One-sided sermons about complex problems.

   When I ask a question, I want an honest answer. Even if it's " I don't  know. "
   I can handle that.
   I think most Christians can, too. So can non-Christians and Bible newbies, especially those who        are genuinely curious about God and the Bible but do not know what to make of it all.
   Everyone respects openness and honesty.
   Inside this book are some hard questions I 've collected from Christians and non-Christians alike.
  As for the answers I won't be trying to sell on one over the other.
  Think of me as Switzerland.
  Neutral.
  I am a journalist covering the Bible beat. I ''ve tried to round up the best answers I can find and report them to you for your consideration.
  I think you will be surprised at some of the answers I found.
  I was. And so was my editor.

A word of thanks

Books don't usually run credits like a movie does. But they should.
  Books like this aren't a one-man show.
  They 'r a three-ring circus.
  Here are a few stars who deserve time in the spotlight:
  Steve Laube, my agent. He pitched the book proposal to select group of editors.
  Tim Peterson, acquisition editor.He caught the pitch.
  Dan Pitts, Ellen Chalifoux, Nancy Renich, Dan Malda, and all the others at Bethany House who helped this became become reality.
  God bless them. Every one.

Unquote
=========
 
Note: The next 10 blogs will embody the tough questions. I do hope that I shall be able to do that as promptly as possible.













  

No comments:

Post a Comment